I decided to start the painting process with a triptych of backgrounds.
Then I worked on them individually to try and create something that was interesting to look at in paint rather than with figurative content before introducing the robot toy.
My first robot in paint
Adding more paint for detail began to make it look like the beginnings of an illustration which I was trying to avoid.
The final painting was scraped back and then attacked with colour. I thought it had evolved into the look of a toy that had gone haywire. I went with this notion and decided that I would try and make it look like a toy robot having a meltdown with molten metal exploding from its innards.